The 5 Myths of Online Marketing:
- The silver bullet exists
- Fast / instant results are possible
- A shotgun approach (be everywhere) works
- Build it and people will come
- Creativity is all you need
The Reality of Online Marketing
- There is no “one thing” but an integrated strategy does work
- Any marketing takes time and hard work
- You need a strategy and a focus on carrying out your strategy on relevant platforms
- Marketing costs time and or money
- You need to be creative, but also measure all your efforts and adapt quickly to changes
Those are some of the lessons I have learned over the past years. You need to have a well thought out online marketing plan. You can’t just “be” on all platforms. Choose two or three and execute your strategy well. This will take time and effort.
Just having a website with content is not enough. It needs to be good content and you need to promote your content in other places online.
Marketing analytics is key to marketing success. Measure something and it will improve is very true when it comes to marketing. Decide what your key metrics that drive your business are. Tie your marketing to these metrics and keep measuring every step of the way. You need to know what works to do more of that. You also need to know what does not work in order not to spend hours of your week doing those.
Have you come across any marketing myths? Please comment below.